This dichotomy is a testament to the success of the propaganda program begun immediately after WW2, funded by the USGovt, and originally created by the intelligence agencies of the USGovt and the US military.
These programs of lies and deception have hidden the reality of USGovt foreign policies from the American people, and, to a large extent from our elected representatives.
It is exactly as James Madison warned: “A popular government without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy, or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”
As a result of the increasing USGovt deception, we “normal” Americans have now lost all visibility, and thus all control over the creation of “our” government’s foreign policies, and its implementation abroad by “our” government’s agents. (Note: The term “Deep State” to describe this condition has become popular. The best overviews are Mike Lofgren’s article here, and Peter Dale Scott’s article here)
USGovt foreign policy is now formed, in secret, primarily for the benefit of the owners and directors of American Multinational Corporations and Anglo American Multinational Banks, (TransNational Corporations, or “TNC’s”) most, but not all of whom, are Americans.
“The first stage of fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power”
-Benito Mussolini (1883-1945)
These policies are heavily influenced by representatives of Wall Street, US TNC’s, the US ‘Defense and Security’ establishment, and, at present, by dual citizenship American-Israelis who put the interests of Israel above all else.
The vast majority of us Americans see a peaceful and prosperous America, full of decent fellow Americans, behaving honorably and going about our daily lives. Since 1892 public-school children have daily or weekly stood on their feet, facing the flag, and said in unison.
“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
Naturally, we believe that USGovt foreign policies, crafted by Americans like us, are essentially benign, and that they are designed, as we have been repeatedly told, for our protection and welfare, and to bring peace, freedom and democracy to the rest of the world. That is the message our US corporately owned Main Stream Media (MSM) declaims daily.
The reality is starkly different.
Since WW2, and most particularly since the 1990’s, USG foreign policies have directly caused the death of tens of millions of innocent men and women, ruined the lives of hundreds of millions more, and intentionally prevented billions of human beings from escaping the poverty created by centuries of European colonial exploitation.
The reality is that hundreds of thousands of USG agents are, daily, involved in covert activities for which many of them, and their leaders, would be jailed or sentenced to death, if they were judged by the standards we Americans set for ourselves, and for the rest of the world, at Nuremberg.
The history of USGovt perfidy, particularly since WW2, has been carefully hidden from American legislators and the American people.
Now, seven decades later, thanks to the passage of time and the dedicated efforts of a very few extraordinarily brave reporters and authors, a few details of a few of those programs, begun seven decades ago, are beginning to seep into the public domain.
Current policies and activities are still deeply hidden, usually criminal, and covertly implemented. It takes the courage of people like an Edward Snowden or a Julian Assange or a Jim Risen, or a Chelsea Manning willing to sacrifice their own lives to provide the original documents necessary to prove beyond a shadow of doubt the criminality of current US policies.
Fortunately there are a few, a very few, independent reporters, authors and publishers who are willing to jeopardize their careers, and perhaps their very lives, by summarizing, for general consumption, the mountains of information provided by people like Snowden and Assange.
The work of these reporters and authors can be found on the internet and in not very popular books. Thanks to them we now know a good deal about the historical abominations which have been committed in our name, and a little bit about the ongoing hundreds of covert mini wars in which the Deep State has us engaged.
We can now understand why deceiving us about the present and past activities and the future plans of our corporations and banks and military was, and continues to be necessary.
An elected government which admitted the truth and sought justice, would demolish some of our most cherished myths, pave the road to peace, gradually end the need for perpetual war, ruin the US and allied defense industries and expose countless very high level Americans and their friends to very long jail terms.
Such revolutionary actions would then allow Americans to lead the world and:
- Accelerate investment in R&D technologies and programs to curb the rate of green house gas emissions, and help “emerging nations” adapt to the effects of the global warming caused primarily by Americans and their European antecedents.
- Begin to care for the tens of millions of refugees created by the USGovt Deep State’s perpetual wars, and contribute to the rehabilitation of nations destroyed by wars we precipitated, and looted by oligarchs we supported.
- Live what we claim, in Jefferson words, to believe: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness”. And not, also in Jefferson words, “ He has… endeavored to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.” From the very inception of the nation, American politicians have been lying and invoking the “savage on the frontier”. Dubya’s GWOT is just another war, in a long line of Anglo American wars, waged on defenseless people by a lying politician.
But to achieve all this the USGovt Deep State must first wage peace; and without extreme pressure from the American people, that will not happen. But, for the sake of our own children and the rest of the world, we cannot stop trying to make it happen.
I have set myself a triple challenge to:
- Expose as succinctly as possible, but with sufficient documentation, the truth about post WW2 USGovt foreign policies and atrocities. I try to focus on the evolution of the “Deep State” entity, and on the fact of its near total independence from control by US voters.
- Publicize the current work of reporters and writers whose opinions and accuracy I respect. Many of these people have voluntarily, or under pressure, left main stream media and defense careers, and are not now beholden to corporate advertisers.
- Focus on the existential threats now posed by the “Washington Consensus” mythologies, and on the urgent necessity and extreme difficulty of changing them, and the policies which spring from them.
Next please see Americans: A Good and Decent People