This post examines “Benghazi” as a tiny, but typical example of a “Deep State Event”. The event, although tragic for the families involved, is a trivial item in the scheme of things: less than half a dozen Americans were killed in a town in Libya where elements of the USGovt had first helped overthrow Muammar Qaddafi, and who are now involved in covertly training and supplying arms to anti Assad terrorists including Al Qaeda and ISIS.
Nevertheless this trivial event has transfixed US main stream media and the Republican Congress for the last three years, leading to the kabuki dance of a US Secretary of State, who knows far more than she can state in public, being grilled for hours, in public, by a group of Republican Congressmen who know nothing of the facts about “Benghazi” which have intentionally been hidden from them.
These particular Congressmen, not being among the chosen few at the head of intelligence committees, are forbidden, by law, to know the details of covert activities of elements of the USGovt. Even the House Intelligence committee members were not initially aware of the details of the covert programs being organized by the CIA from the Benghazi “Annex”.
Even more ironically, I am sure that Hillary Clinton is well aware that even she, as Secretary of State, has been shielded from the details of the activities of the Americans in Benghazi, and that she, like virtually all senior members of the USGovt like it that way. “Plausible Deniability” is essential for the USGovt to function.
The Benghazi event itself is small enough for independent reporters to get their arms around, so, despite US main stream media ignoring the truth of the event, there is a good deal of “corroborative” detail available on the net; however the event has tendrils which attach it to broader “Deep State” events. These connections are enough to ensure that neither the American public, nor their elected representatives, will ever know in any detail what happened in Benghazi, why it happened, what our spooks were doing there, why Gaddafi went from being our friend in 2009 to our deadly enemy in 2011, why we then chose to remove him and have him murdered, and most important of all, the end goal of all these Middle East massacres orchestrated by the USGovt.
- On the evening of September 11, 2012, U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and U.S. Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith were killed in Benghazi.
- Several hours later, a second assault targeted a different compound about one mile away, killing two CIA contractors, Tyrone S. Woods and Glen Doherty.
The two statements above are almost certainly true. Almost everything else reported by the US main stream media, or any element of the USGovt about the “Benghazi incident”, must be either discarded or parsed very carefully.
The “Deep State” Aspect:
First a brief overall summary extracted from Russ Baker’s Why America Will Never Hear the Entire Benghazi Story; the article is principally about the grilling of Hillary Clinton by the Benghazi committee. I have added a few reference links and emphases to the original:
The underlying story of Benghazi is one that cannot and will not be talked about in any open session of Congress. ..
It is the story of a covert CIA operation that was operating from a separate facility in the Benghazi compound that was simply known as the “Annex.” Some two dozen CIA case officers, analysts, translators and special staff were a part of this operation and its security was provided by CIA Global Response Staff (GRS), who had entered the country under diplomatic cover.
The CIA’s mission included arms interdiction — attempting to stop the flow of Soviet-era weapons to Central Africa — and very possibly the organization of Libyan arms shipments to vetted insurgent groups on the ground in Syria.There is also evidence that the mission was working in concert with military personnel from the Joint Special Operations Group Trans-Sahara.
US Ambassador Christopher Stevens had not been in Benghazi for a year. When he arrived for a short stay in September 2012, only a single diplomatic officer was present there, and that officer rotated back to Tripoli upon the ambassador’s arrival. Stevens was accompanied by a communications officer and a handful of Diplomatic Service Security staff. ..
Asking Clinton to justify maintaining the State Department temporary mission in the face of a worsening security situation is fruitless, given its actual function as a clandestine national security mission cover.
The same national security laws constraining State Department and CIA personnel also prevent lawmakers, other than those on select intelligence committees, from being briefed on such missions. And even those privileged individuals could not raise related questions in public — or even in closed sessions that include committee members or staff without the appropriate clearances.
In addition, querying Clinton about her involvement in the immediate response to the attacks is also pointless. The Secretary of State has no legal or operational role in a military response to a diplomatic facility attack. Only National Command Authority (president/secretary of defense) can order a foreign military intervention.
Earlier investigations have already documented that President Obama ordered a military response immediately upon word reaching Washington. They showed as well that the AFRICOM commander responded to that order right away…
As for the well-equipped paramilitary operatives at the CIA station, according to their own statements, they were initially held back by the CIA station chief — as they had been in other incidents. And the station chief was, in turn, acting under his directive to let local militia groups respond. That practice was intended to maintain the station’s covert profile. Unfortunately, it was not consistent with providing any real time defense for the State Department compound….
Now for a broader look:
Item 1 below (Jan 2013) by an independent German reporter is the best referenced report on the “Benghazi Affair” I have found on the web.
Item 2 (April 2014) below is a 6,000 word Sy Hersh report which puts the Benghazi affair in context. Hersh has deep sources in various USGovt agencies; after following him for years I accept his unacknowledged sources as legitimate sources.
Item 3 (April 2014) from “Washington’s Blog” summarizes Hersh’s work and broadens it yet further by linking to many other articles on the “Obama administration” or better yet, US “Deep State” policies in the Middle East.
Culling from all of them, and from some of their references the following story emerges:
- As recently as 2009 Gadaffi was seen as a partner with the US in fighting “terrorism”. For reasons unknown, the US turned on Gadaffi and began arming Al Qaeda Islamists trying to topple Gaddafi. The anti Gadafi Islamists armed by the CIA were anti Iranian Sunnis financed by Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Arms and training were provided by the CIA and other covert US agencies in conjunction with Turkey and (probably) Israel. Gadaffi was killed in October 2011 —Clinton: We came, we saw, he died.
- These anti Gadaffi, anti Iranian, and now anti Assad Islamists continued to be supported by the US, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Israel. ISIS, and various other fundamentalist Islamic “armies” formed from the tens of thousands of Sunnis of Hussein’s Iraqi army fired by Bremer in 2003, together with the now victorious Islamist Libyans organized to overthrow Gadaffi, were now being organized and financed by the US and US allies to overthrow Syria’s Assad, and then Iran. ISIS is a direct result of these efforts. The rise of IRIS, as a result of arming Libyan and Syrian insurgents, was predicted by US intelligence agencies.
- The CIA operators in Benghazi were part of the US covert operations teams set up to coordinate the US-Turkey-Saudi Arabia-Israel-UAE etc Sunni insurgence alliances cobbled together to destroy first Assad and then Iran.
- From Sy Hersh: A highly classified annex to the (Benghazi) report, not made public, described a secret agreement reached in early 2012 between the Obama and Erdoğan administrations. …the CIA, with the support of MI6, was responsible for getting arms from Gaddafi’s arsenals into Syria. A number of front companies were set up in Libya, some under the cover of Australian entities. Retired American soldiers, who didn’t always know who was really employing them, were hired to manage procurement and shipping….The operation had not been disclosed at the time it was set up to the congressional intelligence committees and the congressional leadership, as required by law since the 1970s. ...The consulate’s only mission was to provide cover for the moving of arms,’ the former intelligence official, who has read the annex, said. ‘It had no real political role.’ …..
- The “Obama administration”, elected by the American people is clearly nominally responsible for the chaos in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria Yemen, Somalia and so on. I doubt, however, that Obama has had much freedom of movement. The combination of the interests of the Israeli’s, the Saudi’s, the DoD, NSA, Big Oil, the Wall Street oligarchy and the vast national security bureaucracy created since 9/11, leaves incoming Presidents with few choices. Short of a revolutionary repudiation of war, and a serious move towards peace (which would probably get a new President assassinated anyway) facts on the ground and an inherited bureaucracy and a “mind set” produced by decades of propaganda, severely limit any new Administration’s ability to turn away from the path laid out for them by their predecessors.
- The “Deep State” is not some nefarious cabal meeting in secret to hatch and implement plots to rule the world. From Mike Lofgren
“There is the visible government situated around the Mall in Washington, and then there is another, more shadowy, more indefinable government that is not explained in Civics 101 or observable to tourists at the White House or the Capitol. The former is traditional Washington partisan politics: the tip of the iceberg that a public watching C-SPAN sees daily and which is theoretically controllable via elections. The subsurface part of the iceberg I shall call the Deep State, which operates according to its own compass heading regardless of who is formally in power..”
- The Benghazi Affair: Uncovering the Mystery of the Benghazi CIA Annex By Ronda Hauben
Global Research, January 28, 2013
- The Red Line and the Rat Line Seymour M. Hersh on Obama, Erdoğan and the Syrian rebels (April 2014 LRB, 6000 words)
- Pulitzer-Prize Winning Reporter Sy Hersh: Benghazi Is a HUGE Scandal … But Not For the Reason You Think April 15, 2014